Who will fix us?




BVA: I could feel his hands caress my skin softly while I reminisced in the days leading up to this.
OGO: Those were like the days when the sunshine sparkles stardust to our eyes and we teased.


BVA: He whispered that Lights would guide you home and ignite your bones. And i will try to fix you.
OGO: She took my breath away with her stance that shook my sanity, till I had no clue.


BVA: I know it’s really clichéd but he’s got a smile that can light up a room and fill your heart with warmth.
OGO: From afar I know she is hot. Like a fire am burning with her amber eyes till I became ashes and burnt.


BVA: My lips curled as he whispered those words into my ears as we laid there tangled in each other.
OGO: With my dying breath I wrapped my arms round her tiny waist; and she whispered to me that am her soldier.


BVA: Right now all I wanted was to look into the eyes of the one person that i cared about, not a skype video, to tell him he was my world, my everything, my love.
OGO: Right now all I wanted is to tear down those walls separating and binding us from exploding into each other arms at time past and feel love.


BVA: He turned my body towards his and gleamed into my eyes making my heart melt.
OGO: Within the dark I felt the way she looked at me with so much love; then I sighed and whispered to her that she is God sent.


BVA: His beautiful eyes have always intrigued me. I love his eyes. They were the first things that made me fall in love.
OGO: Her sweet voice have always mesmerized me. The way she calls my name with a symphony that only her voice can make was so sweet and soft.


BVA: His first letter home. He says to me that he’s more excited than i am for our new born son.
OGO: I have been faraway in this strange land but her image and of my little me has been my only sun.


BVA: Our newborn son is your carbon copy William. Our little Joshua is not so little anymore.
OGO: Tell my little me to be strong and I adore him. Oh' my little Josh has been quite we saw.


BVA: Unlike his mother, he doesn’t quite understand why Daddy couldn’t make it to his 5th birthday.
OGO: Plenty times I wondered how she is coping with the boys especially on their sick days.


BVA: Our son wants to know why you were absent last year, and the year before, and the year before the year before.
OGO: So many stories to tell my little angels why I was away today, yesterday and the previous years before. But i have not now the vigour.


BVA: “Mummy what is a bastard and why do I get called that at school?” “And why does Daddy prefer his office to our house?”
OGO: So sharp like a thorn when i saw the downcast face of my little me in the photo. But still glad you stood for me, my darling spouse.


BVA: “Is it cause my room is untidy? Is it mummy? Cause if it is I’d clean it up today mummy, I promise”.
OGO: I missed those funny days we played around and scatter the whole place - yes I missed, i shouldn't have gone then, maybe i was a novice !


BVA: Your Mother walks on eggshells around me, fearing I’d breakdown at the mention of your name.
OGO: Your courage has given me so much strength and your voice on phone  has cured so many pains.


BVA: Five years gone by. Gazing out at the rustling trees, I can still sense your playful presence
OGO: Day and night I work tirelessly to make extra dollar; darling my presence here is for your essence.


BVA: This is not what I signed up for William. Raising our son alone. Having to be both Father and Mother.
OGO: I wish on the stars to grant my only prayer to see you very soon; but still am bothered.


BVA: I remember how all the women at the Ante-Natal clinic eyed me with disdain all through my pregnancy.
OGO: I felt so pained when I read how you go all by yourself, so full with my baby at the last emergency.


BVA: Oh how the tears flowed that fateful day of the first Ultra scan. How the nurses rudely attributed my lateness to my apparent lack of a husband.
OGO: I cried deeply when you called to tell me you heard the first kick of our baby inside of you. I know right then that he was a boy as he sang.


BVA: Yes, William! Me, your virgin wife was called a whore! Why else would I come alone on such a day? Or the previous days?
OGO: I bless the day I found you and for keeping your self for me as your first. Forgive me that I was faraway. I so long to see your face.


BVA: Well they had a point, they never saw me with a Husband.
OGO: Even though faraway, I could still see that you wear our wedding band.


BVA: That rainy July day, the grim expression on your face. “Have you gone deaf William? I said I’m pregnant! You’re going to be a dad!”
OGO: So nostalgia that faithful day; when my seed blossomed within you. I was then you young and I acted like a lad.


BVA: You said you heard the good news loud and clear. Strumming your fingers against my thigh, you only do this when in deep thought.
OGO: I was sobered. The table was not full with food as we planned. The closet was scanty and only few contents in the pot.


BVA: You said it was only for a short while, that you want to go abroad to hustle and make a living.
OGO: So guilty for being long gone; when not so much to part with as a giving.


BVA: You said I should understand that everything was for the greater good. To have a brighter future you said.
OGO: Though the sky had sometimes gone dark and gray; and so many days you were out in the cold. I will fix things and make amend.


BVA: That first day of  a bleak forever. I’m broken William, and so is our son. And since you aren’t here with us, there’s no one to fix us.
OGO: So sorry I left you unfixed and was away for so long. I want you to be strong and hold on for one more year. Very soon am all yours.

BVA & OGO


(Poem: “Who will fix us?” 
By: BVA (Bunmi Victoria Adegboye) and OGO (Olorunleke Gafar Odubote)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Bleed for Benue

ilę sù lọ