Gladstone


Seven years ago,
Old buddies made a pact;
Just seventeen months ago
Gladstone took the ethereal path.

The Saxophonic of your voice;
Like a soft rain that appeases rancour,
The silence now from thy seamless toils;
They awaken me to thy candour,

Another of my clansman is gone,
Another mighty star has fallen;
The finest of the stars of a sun;
Gladstone has heeded to another calling.

It's well beyond three days,
July 6th 2015 has left a trace;
Lazarus received his after three days;
Unquestionable God, we bowed to thy face.

For Gladstone, we again asked Why?
We all one day will surely die;
Never seen a man so kind at heart;
Until Gladstone crossed my path.

The last time we saw;
It was the last time we played;
The last time we saw;
It was the last time we prayed.

Gladstone my mate !
What a fate !!
Is this another test of faith?
Now Salvation is late.

"Pressy GQ, a dearest husband"
Like Abraham, you are a father to many;
This generation will miss you;
Like you taught; we will keep learning.

The last time we saw;
I should have stayed longer than I did,
The last time we saw;
Maybe I could have learnt more than I did.

You cheated the scythe;
Bounced back from plenty fights;
But you never gave up the light,
In order for peace; you only rested your might;

What can I compare thee to !
Gentle and Meek;
Kind with every impulse to sow;
A true friend we can forever seek.

O' Gladstone my love;
Even though thy days had been rough;
Still, you showed us all your love;
And in faith, always to be firm and tough.

Right from my tender age;
You stood firmly by me;
You inspired a youth out of his lustful cage;
And you have created a champion in me.

We promised not to mourn;
Because you despised lack of faith;
Even if my heart is torn,
I will still hold on to that faith.

You will forever be in our heart;
Your good works shall keep us warm;
Though you are gone for now;
Yet you will live again in our heart,

We thank God who gave you to us;
We thank God for accepting you from us.
Goodnight Gladstone Adeyemi Awoniyi
(May 11, 1976 - July 6, 2015)


(Poem: “Gladstone” by Olorunleke Odubote)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Bleed for Benue

ilę sù lọ