Golden Fluid

We found a spot on the pipeline along the way,
We cracked her open so the golden fluid gushed and spewed the hay:
Our jerrycans wantonly filled and like rain we got soaked in its splash;
We struggled for the fountain but without a clash;

Alas, we sprouted chaos in the clans that it’s a gift drawn from our soil,
So we fought the authority to give us good return from our oil.
Amidst shouts and excitement, my clansmen drew the carbon blood,
Then came a bang from the hay amidst the flood,

The fluid o’er the stone and flesh starting to burn,
While she spewed, danced and glittered in the sun,
The day suddenly dawned and I knew we were wrong;
I pushed beyond the crowd but the inferno came with a thirsty tongue,

It licked our mixed sweets and the innocent eyes far aloof;
I lifted my head and I saw the vultures hovering above,
This was the last thing I saw and I knew it was the end;
We cracked the pipeline and we are dead.

Gafar Odubote, “Golden Fluid”, copyright 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Bleed for Benue

ilę sù lọ