Gray and Bar


Today I saw the bar,
Of my countrymen in gray,
Over the shout of 'shun sir'
My body hewed in fray;
They came at a start,
Asking for particulars and stuffs,
They roam with tiny boots like ants,
After the Envelope they dissolve

They came a time in their van,
Hooting profusely like injured owl,
They tagged my garri seeds as a ban
Which I inherited for my clan to sow,
Hurriedly my bowls in their coffers
Some soiled and they are lost;
With envelope again they sober,
With that they vanish like the frost

Not far within a cycle of moon's leg
I saw them again in our market,
My clans men left aside their ego to beg,
So not to end up in their darkest...
But this time we have none to give;
The season was tough and harvest is far;
They bagged us and called me the thief;
Until I found myself beyond the bar,


Poem: “Gray and Bar” by Olorunleke Odubote

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Bleed for Benue

ilę sù lọ